The following are the guidelines related to the Restarting Pattern:
- If your pair is stuck in a thinking/silent loop and cannot seem to progress, actively break your focus by discussing something completely off-topic and unrelated to the issues at hand. This will allow you to tackle the problem with a fresh outlook. Following this stage, attempt to:
- Look back on your last couple of steps and review your previous work;
- Try to suggest next steps related to your end-goal in order to make progress;
- Identify a fresh thought process.
- If your partner is attempting to break focus, don’t dismiss this. Breaking one’s focus using jokes, private conversations, etc. can lead to a fresh perspective, which your partner may need.
Additional guidelines supplied by software developers:
- If you are in disagreement with your partner, you may find it helpful to break for coffee/lunch/etc. – during which you should physically walk away from your desk.
- Give your partner space to read the code before suggesting future steps.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.